200 million pixels! That’s what the cameras on the back of the ZTE Axon 30 Ultra 5G add. And since more is better, the Axon should be the ultimate camera phone, right? Well, that’s what we’re here to find out.
All these megapixels are split between four cameras and there is no shortage of unusual decisions on the part of ZTE. The main unit is 64 MP and is paired with a 26 mm lens – nothing extraordinary there. Things get interesting with the next 64MP sensor that gets 35mm optics – ZTE calls this the portrait lens. There’s still a long way to go for 200, and a third 64MP sensor helps, this one with ultra-wide glass, and we do not think there is another 64MP UW camera? Then there is the 8MP periscope telephoto to complete the picture. There you have it – 200.
With such image chops, it only makes sense that the Axon 30 Ultra packs some advanced hardware in other areas, and that is actually the case. The Snapdragon 888 is as good as computer power, the 144Hz AMOLED screen is 24Hz ahead of the mainstream, and you can get the Axon with up to a terabyte of storage space. Here is a quick review of the numbers.
Overview of ZTE Axon 30 Ultra 5G:
- Body: 161.5×73.0×8.0.0, 188g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass bag (Gorilla Glass 5).
- Screen: 6.67 “AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, HDR10 +, 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 128 GB 8 GB RAM, 256 GB 8 GB RAM, 256 GB 12 GB RAM, 1 TB 16 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS / software: Android 11, MyOS 11.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.6, 26 mm, 1 / 1.72 “, 0.8 ,m, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS; Standard: 64 MP, f / 1.9, 35 mm, 1 / 1.97 “, 0.7 um, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 64 MP, f / 2.2, 13 mm, 120 °, 1 / 1.97 “, 0.7 μm; Tele: 8 MP, f / 3.4, 123mm, 1 / 4.0 “, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 2.5.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 8K @ 30fps, 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10, 10-bit video; Front camera: 4K @ 30 fps, 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 4600mAh; Fast charging 65W, fast charging 4+, USB Power Delivery 3.0 with PPS.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); NFC.
The notable omission in this data sheet is an IP classification – flagships typically have dust and water protection, but unfortunately Axon does not. With all these cameras and a starting price of $ 750 / € 750 something had to give and certified weather sealing did not cut. After that, ZTE does not usually make IP ratings on phones anyway.
ZTE Axon 30 Ultra 5G unboxing
There is nothing missing in the retail package on the other hand. ZTE has bundled the Axon 30 Ultra with a transparent snap-on cover for hard plastic for protection, a USB-C-to-3.5 mm dongle and a pair of earplugs.
Of course, there’s also a charger, and that’s one of the more exciting bits about Axon (that says a lot about us, not true, the things that make us excited). You see, it’s a 65W USB Power Delivery 3.0 device with PPS support, and it’s probably the smallest adapter we’ve seen that has these specifications. The American is even more compact. The thick 6-amp USB-C cable is also a good touch and will be able to comfortably deliver all the 65 watts to a laptop if you choose.
Let’s stay focused on the phone, though.