Xiaomi 12T Pro review
We’ll be the first to admit that the ever-growing Xiaomi phone family has been hard to keep track of. We’re comfortable with the just-announced Xiaomi 12T and 12T Pro, as it’s easy to see how they’re going to replace the Xiaomi 11T and Xiaomi 11T Pro. The new devices support the positioning of the T series as a kind of “budget flagships” with a clear focus on camera prowess.
The spotlight feature of the 12T Pro is its 200MP main camera. It’s based on the Samsung-made ISOCELL HP1 sensor – a powerful piece of camera kit that we only recently saw in action for the first time in our Motorola Edge 30 Ultra review. The HP1 is a 1/1.22″ image camera with an f/1.69 aperture, Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) and Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). pixel pitch for 50 MP stills (1.28 µm pixels) or native at 200 MP (0.64 µm pixels), depending on your needs.
Xiaomi 12T Pro specifications at a glance:
- Body: 163.1×75.9×8.6mm, 205g; plastic body, glass back, Gorilla Glass 5 in front.
- Screen: 6.67″ AMOLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 1220x2712px resolution, 20.01:9 aspect ratio, 446ppi, 1920Hz PWM dimming, 480Hz touch sampling rate.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm): Octa-core (1×3.19 GHz Cortex-X2 & 3×2.75 GHz Cortex-A710 & 4×1.80 GHz Cortex-A510); Adreno 730.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS/Software: Android 12, MIUI 13.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 200 MP, f/1.7, 1/1.22″, 0.64 µm, PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 120 degrees, 1/4″, 1.12 µm; Macro: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 20 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/3.47″, 0.8 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected]; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 120W.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; Infrared port; stereo speakers (Dolby Atmos, Harman Kardon).
In addition to the camera, the Xiaomi 12T Pro also offers a high-end 6.67-inch 120Hz AMOLED display. It’s dubbed CrystalRes due to its higher-than-usual resolution of 1220 x 2712 pixels and extra-sharp 446 ppi. The screen also has Dolby Vision and HDR10+ certification. It’s not quite the LTPO panel of some of the Xiaomi 12 and 12S series, but still a great piece of hardware.
And other 12T Pro highlights also include stereo speakers tuned by Harman Kardon with Dolby Atmos support and a large 5,000 mAh battery with 120W HyperCharge.
But first, let’s start with a tour of the Xiaomi 12T Pro retail box.
The Xiaomi 12T Pro comes in a standard two-piece cardboard box. It’s pretty sturdy, despite not including any plastic, which is great to see. Externally, it’s not particularly shiny or flashy, not unlike the phone it carries.
The accessory package included is quite ample by today’s standards. First of all, the Xiaomi 12T Pro comes with a 120W HyperCharge charger in the box. It has a nominal output of [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] Unfortunately, Xiaomi’s HyperCharge technology is still proprietary. Instead of relying on something standard like USB Power Delivery, it uses its own communication between the phone and the charger, which happens through a USB Type-A to Type-C charging cable. The cable also comes in the box; You’d better keep it next to the charger as it’s a proprietary cable with extra legs. You need it for fast charging to work.
Xiaomi is also kind enough to include a nice transparent TPU case for the 12T Pro in the box. You can slap it on and start using the phone right away without worrying about its security. However, there is no Type-C to 3.5 jack adapter in the box.