Poco M5s review
|128 GB 4 GB RAM||$224.00 USD||€228.90|
|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$229.00 USD|
|Show all prices|
The Poco M5s we have with us today premiered side by side with the Poco M5 – a sub-€250 duo aimed at the EU market. The standard Poco M5 was also launched in India, but this Poco M5s didn’t make it there.
If we were to simplify this comparison, we would say that the Poco M5 has a 90Hz LCD screen, while the Poco M5s uses a 60Hz OLED and a better camera setup all around. That’s why we decided to focus our attention on the more feature-rich Poco M5s.
And yes, Xiaomi has done it again, not surprisingly. Poco M5s is actually a rebranded Redmi Note 10S, which was released more than a year ago across the EU and Asia. And while India isn’t getting the M5s, it did get the Redmi Note 11 SE device in August, which is another twin device. You can see all three compared here or check the specifications below.
Xiaomi Poco M5s • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S • Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 SE (India)
Now that we’ve cleared the latest Xiaomi branding nonsense, let’s explore this Poco M5s.
The M5s offers a 6.43-inch 1080p OLED with premium brightness features. However, the refresh rate is limited to 60Hz, despite the M5s having a more powerful chipset and a better panel than the M5 with its 90Hz LCD.
Speaking of hardware, the M5s is based on the Helio G95, a platform that offers a 2+6 CPU and a quad-core Mali-G76 MC4 GPU that should do pretty well for gaming on the go. You can choose between 4GB and 6GB of RAM and 64GB and 128GB of expandable storage.
In addition to the brighter OLED, the M5s also beats the cheaper M5 in the camera department. Poco M5s has four cameras on the back – a primary 64 MP, an 8 MP ultrawide, a 2 MP macro and a 2 MP depth sensor. There is no UW camera on the M5 and the primary resolution is 50MP.
The selfies camera is also better on the M5s, a 13MP eye compared to a 5MP selfie on the M5.
The Poco M5s offers a fairly rich connectivity package without 5G – it has dual-SIM with two dedicated SIM beds, 4G LTE, dual-band Wi-Fi, NFC, FM radio, a 3.5mm jack, IR port. The phone runs on Android 12 with MIUI 13.
The Poco M5s supports 33W fast wired charging for its large 5,000mAh battery, and the manufacturer advertises 64% charging in 30 minutes. We’ll see that in a bit.
Finally, the Poco M5s is a splash-resistant device with an IP53 rating, and it’s definitely better than nothing.
Xiaomi Poco M5’s specifications at a glance:
- Body: 160.5×74.5×8.3mm, 179g; glass front; plastic frame; plastic backing; IP53, dust and splash resistant.
- Screen: 6.43″ AMOLED, 450 nits (typical), 700 nits (HBM), 1100 nits (peak), 1080×2400 px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 409ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G95 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.05 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G76 MC4.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 12, MIUI 13.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 64MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/1.97″, 0.7µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8MP, f/2.2, 118˚, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f/2.4, (wide), 1/3.06″, 1.12 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected]; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 33W, 64% in 30 min (advertised).
- Various: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; FM radio; Infrared port; 3.5 mm jack; stereo speakers; Virtual sense of proximity.
Okay, for a phone available for €210, we can’t think of any missing essential feature. The M5s seems like a great bang-for-the-buck device, so let’s get this thing out of the box without further ado.
Unboxing the Poco M5s
The Poco M5s arrives in a large box painted in Poco’s signature yellow color. There are lots of accessories inside.
The M5s comes with a 33W charger and a 3A-rated USB-A-to-C cable. Then there’s a soft transparent case for a little extra protection and a SIM eject tool.
Finally, there is a thin protective film inside the box that you have to apply yourself. Other Xiaomi-made phones usually have this applied at the factory.