Fortnite hasn’t been available to play on iPhone and iPad since Apple banned it from the App Store amid an ongoing legal battle with Epic Games, but the Battle Royale game has returned to iOS devices thanks Microsoft’s Xbox Cloud Gaming service. This article explains how to get Fortnite working on the service – keep reading to find out how it works.
Apple removed the popular Fortnite title from the App Store in August 2020, after developer Epic Games added a direct payment option to the game in violation of App Store rules. However, if you want to play Fortnite on iPhone and iPad, the good news is that the Xbox Cloud Gaming service now supports Fortnite, which means you can play on your iOS device using Safari or a other browser.
The Xbox Cloud Gaming service is available in 26 countries and allows you to play games streamed from a remote server through a web application, so you don’t need to download and install game data on your iOS device, and some games are free to play – including Fortnite. (The game includes a ton of in-app purchases, but they’re entirely optional).
All you need to play Fortnite on your iPhone or iPad is connected to Wi-Fi and have a Microsoft account (don’t worry if you don’t have one, creating an account is free) . Fortnite has touch controls, so playing with a controller is optional. You can be up and running in minutes by following these steps.
- To throw Safari on your iPhone or iPad.
- Visit xbox.com/play.
- Faucet Play for free under the Fortnite graphic, which should be at the top of the website. (If you don’t see it, look for it in the games list.)
- Faucet Get ready to play on the next page.
- Follow the on-screen prompt request to add the Xbox Cloud Gaming icon to your home screen: Tap Safari Share icon (the square with the arrow pointing out), choose Add to home screen in the actions menu, then tap Add.
- Now press the cloud gaming on your device’s home screen to open the Xbox service in a separate window.
- To select fortnite like the game you want to play.
- Press the Login button and enter a Microsoft account. This can be a live.com or even hotmail.com account – you don’t need to sign up for an Xbox subscription. (If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you can create one for free.)
- After logging in, you will be returned to the Fortnite page, where you can tap Cheek. Wait for the game to load, then press Tap to start.
That’s all we can say about it. You should now be able to play the game on your iPhone or iPad. Make sure to turn off orientation lock so you can play the game in full screen in landscape orientation.
Keep in mind that Xbox Cloud Gaming is a streaming web application and you play Fortnite on a remote server, so you will need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network at all times to play it, and performance will depend on the quality of the internet connection.
Note that Fortnite can also be played on GeForce NOW, another cross-platform, subscription-based service that allows users to stream hundreds of games across multiple devices.