Xiaomi Poco M5 review
|64 GB 4 GB RAM||$152.00||$160.00|
|128 GB 4 GB RAM||$189.99||€189.90|
|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$182.00 USD||$211.99|
|Show all prices|
Introduction and specifications
The Poco M5, like the Poco M4 5G announced in August, is one of Xiaomi’s most affordable handsets in the portfolio. Both handsets are quite similar, but the M5 lacks 5G connectivity and is available in several markets worldwide. There’s also an Indian variant of the M5, which is mostly identical to its global counterpart, so it’s safe to use this review as a reference if you’re in India and deciding whether to buy the Poco M5 .
Although the Poco M4 5G offers a Dimensity chipset, while the newer M5 relies on an allegedly less powerful Helio G99 (according to MediaTek’s naming scheme), there shouldn’t be any significant difference in performance. The Dimensity 700 on the M4 5G has a 5G modem and is based on a 7nm manufacturing process, while the Helio G99 uses the same octa-core CPU, the same Mali-G57 MC2 GPU, but omits the 5G part. So, in a sense, these are two 4G and 5G variants of the same handset.
Xiaomi Poco M5 • Xiaomi Poco M5 (India)
That said, we already know what to expect from the Poco M5, but there may be some marginal, if any, differences in battery life and perhaps photography. Although the G99 is positioned lower than the Dimenisty 700 in MediaTek’s hierarchy, it has the more capable ISP of the two and supports higher refresh rate displays. And of course the Poco M5 (even the one in India) has a more potent 50MP main sensor.
Xiaomi Poco M5 specifications at a glance:
- Body: 164.0×76.1×8.9mm, 201g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass 3), plastic frame, plastic back.
- Screen: 6.58″ IPS LCD, 90Hz, 500 nits (HBM), 1080x2408px resolution, 20.07:9 aspect ratio, 401ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT8781 Helio G99 (6nm): Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 12, MIUI 13.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.8, PDAF; Macro: 2MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 5 MP, f/2.2, (wide), 1/5.0″, 1.12 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected]; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 18W cable.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; FM radio; Infrared port; 3.5 mm jack.
Regardless, like the Poco M4 5G, the M5 offers good value for the asking price, running on a large battery, mature and reliable MIUI 13 Android skin, and adequate photography capabilities for a low-end device. Let’s take a deeper dive beyond the specs on the following pages.
Unboxing the Xiaomi Poco M5
Poco M5’s box is quite generous. Apart from the standard user manuals and wall charger with USB-A to USB-C connector, the box also gives you a transparent silicone protective case.
There is also a film screen protector that you can use. It is not pre-installed which is quite interesting.