Motorola Moto G72 review
|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$279.99||€279.99|
|128 GB 8 GB RAM||$499.00 USD||€385.98|
|Show all prices|
“Choose the Moto G72 for a smartphone with high resolution and the best sound quality”, reads Motorola’s European landing page, while in India you would get one “for all the colors of your life”.
In fact, the Moto G72’s screen is one of its main selling points – a 6.6″ 120Hz OLED with support for a billion colors, and it’s 1080p, hence ‘high resolution’. As for audio, you get stereo speakers, a headphone jack, and an FM -radio, so there is also potential on that front.
There’s one standout figure in the spec sheet and that’s in the weight department – at just 166g, the Moto G72 is remarkably light, and that’s while still packing a 5,000mAh battery. Motorola promises over 2 days of battery life (according to their lab tests) and we can see that being true, especially with the relatively modest Mediatek Helio G99 chipset, which lacks 5G capability.
In the camera department, we’re looking at a 2+1 rear setup with a 108MP headliner, 8MP ultrawide and a 2MP macro, while selfies are taken by a 16MP punch hole unit – a solid mid-range configuration by the looks of it. What you’ll be missing is 4K video recording, but that’s been the new normal lately in these budget-conscious devices.
Motorola Moto G72 specifications at a glance:
- Body: 160.5×74.4×7.9mm, 166g; water resistant design.
- Screen: 6.6″ P-OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 410ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT8781 Helio G99 (6nm): Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: Android 12, planned upgrade to Android 13.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 108MP, f/1.7, 0.64µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8MP, f/2.2, 118˚, 1.12µm; Macro: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1.0 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected]/60fps; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 5000mAh; 33W cable.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; FM radio; 3.5 mm jack; stereo speakers.
Motorola Moto G72 unboxing
The Moto G72 ships in the same marine box as all newer G-series Motos – the recycled brown boxes are reserved for the Edge series. The content is more or less standard.
The phone already comes in a transparent soft silicone case – not so smart, but functional nonetheless. Below you’ll find the 33W TurboPower adapter and a USB-A to C cable for charging and data transfer.