Samsung One UI 5.1 features leak ahead of Galaxy S23 launch
As if the Samsung Galaxy S23 series leaks weren’t detailed enough so far, we now have a fresh new one about One UI 5.1 and all the new features that come with it. WinFuture posted a detailed changelog of the new Samsung OS, which will be based on Android 13 like One UI 5.0.
Based on the accompanying list of new features, One UI 5.1 will be a minor update over the current version that focuses on adding useful tweaks and customization options. Samsung’s new OS is launched on the Galaxy S23 series and will later come to older models.
Samsung One UI 5.1 new features (machine translated from German):
- Changing the shade of a selfie just got easier
Quick access to Expert RAW
- The Expert RAW app allows you to take high-quality photos without any processing or compression, perfect for those who want to edit their photos later. Access to Expert RAW is now easier from the Advanced menu.
- Joint family album
- With Shared Family Album, it’s easier than ever to share photos with your family. Gallery recommends photos to add to your shared family album by recognizing your family members’ faces. You also get 5 GB of storage space per family member (up to 6 people).
- Improved handling
- Processing automatically removes shadows and reflections to make your images look great. You can also recreate GIFs for better resolution and clarity.
- Practical information display
- If you swipe up when viewing a photo or video in your gallery, you can see at a glance when and where the photo was taken, on which device, where it’s stored, and more.
- Search has become more powerful
- You can now search for more than one person or item at a time. You can even search for people without tagging their names, just by clicking on their faces.
- Choose a location to save screenshots
- Now you can save screenshots and screen recordings in a folder of your choice by configuring it in the advanced features.
- Use 3 Emojis in AR Emoji Camera
- Take fun photos and videos with friends (up to 3 people) in mask mode. You can replace your friends’ faces with other characters by clicking on the emoji.
- Layout and editing improvements in AR Doodles
- The brushes are now available on the main AR Doodle screen for faster access. You can also resize and move drawings after you’ve created them, and the new eraser tool lets you erase just part of your drawings without erasing them entirely.
- New battery widget
- With the new battery widget, you can check the battery level of your Galaxy devices. Right from the home screen, you can see how much battery your smartphone, Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch and other supported devices have left.
- Intuitive weather widget
- The new illustration style and an overview of the current weather conditions make it easy to know the weather information, whether it is sunny, cloudy, raining or snowing.
- Different wallpapers depending on the mode
- Set different backgrounds on the lock screen and home screen depending on your current activities. Choose a background for work, one for sports and more by setting different modes.
- More conditions and actions for scenarios
- Run scripts automatically when you turn on airplane mode or mobile hotspot. Scripts can now open some apps, adjust left/right audio balance, and more. New actions now allow you to control Quick Share and touch sensitivity, as well as change the ringtone and font.
- Collaboration in Samsung Notes
- Create a shared note that multiple people can edit at the same time. Write a report with colleagues, take notes for a study group, or draw a picture with a friend. The possibilities are endless.
- It’s easy to invite to shared apps
- Now you can easily invite people to shared albums, notes and calendars using a link that can be shared across apps like messenger, email and social networks.
- Advanced multiple controls between Galaxy Book and smartphone
- Now you can use your Galaxy Books mouse, keyboard or trackpad not only with your Galaxy tablet, but also with your Galaxy smartphone. You can easily copy and paste text and drag and drop images from one device to another as if it were the same device.
- Media output for WiFi speakers
- To continue listening to music on Wi-Fi speakers via Spotify Connect and Chromecast built-in, simply open the media outlet from the quick access toolbar, not music apps.
- Continue browsing on the PC
- If you browse the Internet on your smartphone with Samsung Internet and then continue browsing on your PC, you can find the websites you have opened on your smartphone and continue browsing them with the PC browser.
- Improved multitasking in DeX
- In split screen mode, you can now drag the splitter in the middle of the screen to resize both windows. You can also pin a window to one of its corners so that it takes up a quarter of the screen.
- Suggestions for settings
- Suggestions now appear at the top of the settings screen, telling you about useful features you can try or settings that need your attention, so you can enable or try them right away.
- Improved search
- You can now search by folder name in bookmarks or by group name in tabs. Improved search logic allows you to find what you’re looking for, even if something is misspelled.
- Faster and easier initial setup of your new Galaxy
- If you’re switching to a new Galaxy from a Galaxy or another Android device, simply scan the QR code on your old device to automatically migrate your Wi-Fi networks, Samsung account, and Google account to the new Device to transfer without typing anything.
- Detailed weather information at a glance
- Useful weather information is now displayed on the main screen of the Weather app. You can check severe weather alerts, daily weather reports, hourly precipitation and color temperature charts.
- Bixby text call
- Use Bixby text calling to automatically answer calls and find out the purpose of the call. You can see what the caller is saying in a text chat, and you can tap or write replies that are read aloud to the caller. Bixby text calls are only available in English and Korean.
AR Zone and AR Emoji
Conditions and scenarios
(Galaxy S23 exclusive feature)
Source (in German)