Realme 9 5G is currently exclusive to India. Admittedly, the company’s confusing lineup is pretty hard to keep track of, but technically it’s kind of a successor to Realme 8s 5G and Realme 8 5G before that. Although technically it’s specifications, it’s a bit in between the two.
The one key characteristic between the new Realme 9 5G and Realme 8 5G that came out over a year ago is the chipset – a MediaTek Dimensity 810 compared to a Dimensity 700. A strange and kind of brave choice, considering that this makes older Realme 8s 5G technically better. It’s also a device similar to the two, both physically and in terms of specifications, but it adjoins the main camera to a 64 MP device, has 33W fast charging and a better chipset on board.
Realme 9 5G (India) specifications in an instant:
- Body: 162.6×74.8×8.5 mm, 188g; Glass front, plastic back.
- Screen: 6.50 “IPS LCD, 90Hz, 480 nits (type), 600 nits (HBM), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 405ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6833P Dimension 810 (6 nm): Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 64 GB 4 GB RAM, 128 GB 6 GB RAM; UFS 2.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS / Software: Android 11, Realme UI 2.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 48 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1/2 “, 0.8 ,m, PDAF; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 2.1, 26 mm (wide), 1 / 3.09 “, 1.0 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 1080p @ 30fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 18W.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (side mounted); 3.5 mm jack.
This basically makes the new Realme 9 5G a “middle ground offer” between Realme 8 5G and Realme 8s 5G. Not exactly a major upgrade, as its higher model number might suggest. Yet it is all also reflected in the price. It has a competitive INR 15,000 (EUR 183 / $ 192). That could very well be enough to make it a popular budget choice just like its siblings. Plus, the Dimensity 810 is a tough chipset to fit into this kind of tight budget, proving once again that Realme is aggressively pursuing a competitive edge through the best possible value proposition.
Before we dive deeper into what Realme 9 5G offers, let’s look at its retail box. Although the Realme 9 5G has what is basically the standard accessory package for a current Realme device, it would technically be considered a rich retail package by modern standards. It comes in a sturdy light yellow box, which is quite eye-catching and gets the job done when it comes to protecting the contents.
Speaking of content, in addition to the phone itself, Realme also replaces an 18W charger in the box, so you can use the full 18W fast charge that the phone is capable of. There is a thick USB Type-A to Type-C cable next to it. Unfortunately, you have to go up to the Realme 9 5G Speed version or Realme 8s 5G to get the faster 30W charge.
Realme is also nice enough to throw a thick and solid transparent TPU protective case in the box. It’s a great little addition that lets you start using your phone without worries right away.