Samsung details Exynos 1380 chipset
Samsung announced its latest mid-range chipset – the Exynos 1380. The new SoC is a successor to last year’s Exynos 1280 and offers slight improvements. There is support for UFS 3.1 storage and a more capable AI Engine. The chipset can now handle phones with up to FHD+ resolution and 144Hz refresh rate screens as well as 200MP primary cameras.
Samsung Exynos 1380 specifications:
- Process technology: 5 nm EUV
- CPU: 4x Cortex-A78 @2.4Ghz + 4x Cortex-A55 @2.0GHz.
- GPU: Arm Mali-G68 MP5
- AI engine: AI engine with NPU, 4.9 TOPS.
- Modem: 5G NR Sub-6GHz + 5G NR mmWave, 3.79 Gbps DL, 1.28 Gbps UL, global 5G multi-SIM.
- Camera: Single camera up to 200 MP, triple camera up to 16 MP, 4K video @30fps recording and playback.
- Screen: FHD+ @144 Hz
- Memory: LPDDR4x/5
- Storage: UFS v3.1
- Other things: Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo GNSS.
The Exynos 1380 is fabbed on Samsung’s 5nm EUV process and has a CPU consisting of 4x Cortex-A78 performance cores clocked at 2.4Ghz along with 4x Cortex-A55 efficiency cores humming at 2.0GHz. The GPU side is handled by the Arms Mali-G68 MP5.
Samsung claims that the AI capabilities on the device enable more advanced language recognition for voice assistance as well as improved image recognition. In terms of connectivity, you get an integrated 5G modem with support for both mmWave and sub-6GHz networks. The chip also handles dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.2, NFC and BeiDou, Galileo, GLONASS, GPS GNSS positioning.
Samsung’s Exynos 1380 chipset is expected to debut in the brand’s upcoming Galaxy A54 phone.