Samsung Galaxy A14 5G review
|64 GB 4 GB RAM||$129.00 USD||$199.99|
|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$220.00||18,999 INR|
|128 GB 8 GB RAM||20,999 INR|
|Show all prices|
We rarely get to play with US-specific smartphones of a more budget stature. That hasn’t stopped us from recommending the Samsung Galaxy A13 5G unseen if you’re looking for a handset in the $200 ballpark, but we still felt a more thorough approach was appropriate. So with that in mind, we tracked down a Galaxy A14 5G and brought it to headquarters for review.
However, a little clarification is needed here. The Galaxy A14 5G is available in different markets with different chipsets. The US spec has the Dimensity 700 inside, while the one sold in India uses the Exynos 1330 chip, which is a more powerful platform. That said, while many of our findings here will apply to all A14 5Gs, some bits will be specific to the Dimensity variant – for example, battery life and possibly image quality. While they may end up being the same between both versions, it won’t be something we can confirm for sure. Performance, on the other hand, will be better on the Exynos variant – we’re sure to say that.
With that out of the way, the Galaxy A14 5G isn’t a huge upgrade over the A13 5G. The Dimensity 700 that we’ve been walking around on this one comes straight out of the A13 5G. The rear camera system also remains unchanged – a 50 MP camera is joined by 2 MP macro and depth units. Battery capacity is still ample at 5,000mAh, but the new phone is somehow 7g heavier.
That ‘somehow’ is quickly answered when you look at the screen, which is now 6.6 inches diagonally (6.5 inches on the A13 5G). More importantly, the new panel has a 1080p resolution as opposed to the 720p of the older model – an upgrade we can appreciate. Another welcome upgrade hides in the waterdrop notch on the top edge of the display – the selfie camera is now 13MP as opposed to 5MP.
Samsung Galaxy A14 5G specifications at a glance:
- Body: 167.7×78.0x9.1mm, 202g; Glass front, plastic back, plastic frame.
- Screen: 6.60″ PLS LCD, 90Hz, 1080x2408px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 400ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6833 Dimensity 700 (7 nm) as reviewed: Octa-core CPU (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55), Mali-G57 MC2 GPU. Exynos 1330: Octa-core CPU (2×2.4 GHz & 6×2.0 GHz), Mali-G68 MC4 GPU.
- Memory: 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 13, One UI Core 5.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 50MP, f/1.8, PDAF; Macro: 2MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f/2.0, (wide).
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected]; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 15W cable.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; 3.5 mm jack.
Samsung Galaxy A14 5G unboxing
The Galaxy A14 5G comes in a half-height white package, which consists of a thin cardboard sleeve with a print of the phone on top, which holds a cardboard tray with the phone inside. The list of accessories is short – you get a USB-C cable and that’s it.