Xiaomi 13 Pro review
Remember how the Xiaomi 12S Ultra wasn’t launched outside China even though it had the potential to become one of the best-selling smartphones? Yes, we are still bitter about that too. But today we have some sweet, sweet news! Xiaomi 13 Pro, the company’s most current flagship, is what the road to redemption looks like and everyone’s chance to own an even better and more refined Ultra.
In fact, the flagship Xiaomi 13 duo has officially launched in the global markets, and the Xiaomi 13 Lite premium mid-ranger is also along for the ride. The Xiaomi 13 and Xiaomi 13 Pro are part of the select few smartphones to pack the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset. But while the Xiaomi 13 is a compact device with a fairly ordinary camera, the Xiaomi 13 Pro is all-in across all aspects, camera included.
The Xiaomi 13 Pro is a beautiful glass smartphone with a new camera housing on the back, one that is likely to become a signature of the next generation of Xiaomi smartphones. It features the same 6.73-inch LTPO QHD OLED panel as seen on the Xiaomi 12 Pro and 12S Ultra. But while the resolution, color, refresh rate and HDR capabilities have remained identical, the maximum brightness has been increased.
Then comes the new chipset – the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is part of the Xiaomi 13 Pro, and in addition to all the performance improvements it brings, it also comes with faster RAM and storage chips.
The camera department gets the best out of the 12S Ultra and builds on it. The main 50MP camera relies on the same 1″ Sony sensor we loved on the Ultra. But it updates the ultra-wide camera with a new 50MP sensor, and the telephoto gets another 50MP sensor behind a 75mm lens for both 3.2x optical zoom and macro photography as it can focus from as close as 10cm away!
Xiaomi 13 Pro and Xiaomi 13
The rear cameras again rely on Leica lenses and Leica color profiles are also present. There are all sorts of options for video recording, including Dolby Vision recording.
Battery capacity remains fairly similar to the Ultra and slightly higher than on the previous Pro – it’s 4,820mAh. There is 120W fast wired and 50W fast wireless charging.
Now let’s take a look at the full spec sheet.
Xiaomi 13 Pro specifications at a glance:
- Body: 162.9×74.6×8.4mm, 210g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), ceramic back or silicone polymer back, aluminum frame; IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5 mi 30 min).
- Screen: 6.73″ LTPO OLED, 1B colors, 120Hz, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 1200 nits (HBM), 1900 nits (peak), 1440x3200px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 522ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8550-AB Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (4 nm): Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Cortex-X3 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A715 & 2×2.8 GHz Cortex-A710 & 3×2.0 GHz Cortex-A510); Adreno 740.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1 – 128GB, UFS 4.0 – 256/512GB.
- OS/Software: Android 13, MIUI 14.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 50.3MP, f/1.9, 23mm, 1.0″ type, 1.6µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF, OIS; Telephoto: 50 MP, f/2.0, 75mm, PDAF (10cm – ∞), 3.2x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 50MP, f/2.2, 14mm, 115˚, AF.
- Front camera: 32 MP, (wide).
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected] (HDR), [email protected]/30/60fps (HDR10+, 10-bit Dolby Vision HDR, 10-bit LOG), [email protected]/120/240/960fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 4820mAh; 120W wired, PD3.0, QC4, 100% in 19 min (advertised), 50W wireless, 100% in 36 min (advertised), 10W reverse wireless.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; Infrared port; stereo speakers.
We’re happy to see Xiaomi bringing official IP68 ingress protection to the new flagship series, something that was reserved for the Ultra until now. Xiaomi has long ignored complete water resistance, and we hope that we have finally seen the end of it.
But what we’re sad to see is that the Xiaomi 13 Pro, a premium camera phone of sorts, still uses the dated 32MP selfie camera with a Quad-Bayer sensor, one that doesn’t even offer 4K video recording.
Unboxing the Xiaomi 13 Pro
Xiaomi 13 Pro comes in a thick black box with Xiaomi and Leica logos. Inside you will find the phone itself, a 120W charger with USB-A port and a 6A rated cable.
The retail package also includes a soft transparent case and a SIM eject tool.
Finally, the Xiaomi 13 Pro comes with a thin protective film that was applied at the factory. It’s low quality and a huge dirt magnet, so we peeled that off on day one.