|128 GB 6 GB RAM||549.00 USD||309.43 £|
|128 GB 8 GB RAM||20,800 INR|
|Show all prices|
Introduction and specifications
The Realme 9 series has a number of family members this year. We have a 4G and 5G version of the vanilla option, we have a 9i as well as two Pro variants. Each represents a different price category except the Realme 9 4G and 5G iterations. Both seem to be priced quite similarly. And to our surprise, the 5G unit underpins the Realme 9 4G with around € 30.
However, there is a good reason for this. The 4G variant has a better screen, faster charging and better main camera, and the basic memory variant offers twice as much storage as 5G. Right from the start, we can say that the 4G version is likely to be more popular than its 5G counterpart, mostly among people who are not interested in upgrading to the 5G network or in countries where coverage is still scarce.
Realme 9 specifications in an instant:
- Body: 160.2×73.3×8.0mm, 178g; Gorilla Glass 5 front, plastic back and frame.
- Screen: 6.40 “Super AMOLED, 90Hz, 430 nits (type), 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 411ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM6225 Snapdragon 680 4G (6 nm): Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Kryo 265 Gold & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo 265 Silver); Adreno 610.
- Memory: 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 8 GB RAM; UFS 2.2; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS / Software: Android 12, Realme UI 3.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 108 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1 / 1.67 “, 0.64 ,m, Dual Pixel PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 120˚, 1/4 “, 1.12 µm; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 2.5, 26 mm (wide), 1 / 3.09 “, 1.0 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 1080p @ 30fps; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 33W, 50% in 31 min, 100% in 75 min (advertised).
- Various: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); 3.5 mm plug, no NFC.
For around € 280 you get a solid 90Hz OLED panel, 5,000 mAh battery, 33W fast charging, a 108MP main camera and 128GB expandable. Realme 9 also runs on a recent Snapdragon 680 SoC, though that chip lacks a built-in 5G modem.
With all these specifications in mind, the € 280 price tag seems quite competitive. The handset is shaping up to be a respectable all-rounder, which is even a better case than the 5G option. But specifications are not everything, so we will review our usual tests to see how well the hardware performs in the real world.
Unpacking Realme 9
The device comes in a standard box containing all the usual user manuals, the appropriate 33W charging pad and a USB-A to USB-C cable used for charging and data transfer.
Realme also threw in a transparent protective case as a bonus.