It’s only three months since the launch of the nubia Red Magic 6, and we’re already getting another version of the game – centric flagship – the nubia Red magic 6R. This new (R) acing model is supposed to be the regular version with a more elegant look, a smaller and lighter body and a better selfie camera. Red Magic 6R needs to keep the impressive game set, the original model on offer, so we know we’ll be in for a treat.
The first thing that everyone will notice about the Nubia Red Magic 6R is that it is easier to look at the eyes. The flashy colors are gone, replaced by elegant silver or black paint with a minimum of decorative elements. Gone is the built-in fan, which gives a thinner and lighter body. Let’s hope the improved passive cooling system is up to the task.
The screen has shrunk slightly – its diagonal is now 6.67 inches, down from 6.8 “. And while still an AMOLED with 10-bit color support, it maximizes the refresh rate at 144Hz, down from 165Hz. We are not sure can consider this as a loss as a handful of games still supported the super high refresh rate.
Red Magic 6R has retained the same Snapdragon 888 5G chip. The 400 Hz pressure sensitive triggers are here to stay. Unfortunately, the Red Magic 6R has lost its top speaker and it has no 3.5mm audio jack.
64MP primary and 8MP ultra-wide cameras remain identical to those on the Red Magic 6, but they received as companions a better 5MP macro and a 2MP depth sensor. The selfie camera has also gotten a boost; it is now 16MP, up from 8MP.
Finally, the smaller Red Magic 6R body holds a smaller battery – it is now a 4,200 mAh cell with 30W charging for the global devices and 55W charging for the Chinese version. Red Magic 6 had a 5.050mAh battery with 66W fast charge. We will of course explore these more in our batteries and charging chapters.
Overview of ZTE nubia Red Magic 6R:
- Body: 163.0×75.3×7.8mm, 186g; Gorilla Glass 3 front, aluminum frame, glass back; Pressure sensitive zones (400Hz touch sensitive).
- Screen: 6.67 “AMOLED, 1B colors, 144Hz, 770 nit (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 8 GB RAM, 128 GB 12 GB RAM, 256 GB 12 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS / software: Android 11, Redmagic 4.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1 / 1.73 “, 0.8 µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.0, 120 °, 13 mm, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm; Macro: 5 MP; Depth: 2 MP.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 1.8, (wide).
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120 / 240fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 4200mAh; Fast charging 55W – China, fast charging 30W – global, power supply 3.0, fast charging 4.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (during display, optical).
Like the Red Magic 6, the 6R is not waterproof. And it does not offer a microSD card slot.
According to the official website, the Red Magic 6R must be compatible with the Ice Dock RGB cooler and E-Sports handle, which is a good thing if you want to squeeze the maximum out of your gaming phone.
Unboxing of nubia Red Magic 6R
Red Magic 6R comes packaged in a beautiful black box. It includes the phone, a red USB cable, a 30W power plug and a red 3.5mm-to-USB-C adapter.
The paper compartment contains a transparent silicone case and some paperwork.