Tecno has a constantly growing smartphone range. The new Camon 19 Pro just dropped by the office for a full, in-depth review. The Camon family is Tecno’s flagship line. It consists of phones with larger screens and increased focus on camera features and performance. The Camon 19 Pro is no exception with an OIS-enabled 64MP main snapper with laser autofocus and a 50MP 2x telephoto camera on the back.
Tecno mainly targets developing countries, which is why they have a different approach to their smartphones than the mainstream manufacturers. The Camon series brings large screens and batteries with a good camera experience and satisfactory performance at a cheap price. The price is kept even lower thanks to pre-installed partner apps and built-in ads in the interface. This may be a deal-breaker for some, but for others – a welcome trade-off that they will happily make.
Tecno Camon 19 Pro Specifications at a Glance:
- Body: 166.8×74.6×8.6mm, 204g; plastic body.
- Screen: 6.80″ IPS LCD, 120Hz, 1080x2460px resolution, 20.5:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6781 Helio G96 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.05 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM; Unspecified.
- OS/Software: Android 12, iOS 8.6.
- Rear camera: wide (main): 64 MP, f/1.6, 26 mm, 1/1.7″, 0.8 µm, PDAF, Laser AF, OIS; Telephoto: 50MP, f/2.0, 50mm, 1/2.76″, 0.64µm, PDAF, 2x zoom; Depth: 2MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 32MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/3.4″, 0.8µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: [email protected], HDR; Front camera: 1080p at 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 33W, 100% in 65 min (advertised).
- Various: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); NFC; FM radio; 3.5 mm jack.
The Camon 19 Pro has plenty of options beyond what we’ve already mentioned. Its large 6.8-inch screen has a resolution of 120Hz. Although, unlike the Camon 18 Premier, it’s just an LCD rather than an OLED. You also get a large 5,000mAh battery with 33W fast charging and a decently powerful MediaTek Helio G96 chipset. It should be noted that there is also a Camon 19 Pro 5G. It’s technically a different device, but it shares pretty much all of its specs with the regular Camon 19 Pro with a chipset swap for the Dimensity 810 5G. So most of the observations we make in this review will also apply to the Camon 19 Pro 5G.
Another important point of clarification here is that the older Camon 18 Premier is not necessarily a good point of comparison for the Camon 19 Pro. The Premier is a more expensive phone, which allows it to have some niceties like the AMOLED panel or the gimbal-stabilized 12MP ultra-wide camera. We will do our best not to make many comparisons between the two devices in the review.
Before we dive into the Camon 19 Pro itself, we should look at the retail package, which ticks all the boxes. The box itself is a two-part thick cardboard case with a robust and eye-catching exterior with its two-tone design. The contents are very well protected with an actual plastic holder for the phone itself.
Tecno has always had a very rich accessory package. The included charger is a familiar affair for the brand. It is rated for up to 33W output ([email protected] or [email protected]). You also get a USB Type-A to Type-C cable in the box rated for 3.3A. It is about a meter long and also wired for data.
There’s also a nice pair of headphones with a microphone that ends in a 3.5mm jack. You’ll also find a soft transparent case that encloses the phone and its camera island.
Finally, the Camon 19 Pro comes with a thin protective film on the screen. Sure, it might not be as durable as a tempered glass shield, but it’s not as cheap and tacky as the ones we’ve seen pre-installed on some more popular phones.