Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra gets the Best Smartphone award at GLOMO 2021
After a year of absence, the Global Mobile (GLOMO) Awards at the Mobile World Congress are back (there was no MWC last year). Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra was named last year’s Smartphone by the jury, who had this to say about the phone:
“The best Android smartphone Samsung has ever made with a huge range of features, amazing AMOLED display, best-in-class cameras and more – this phone delivers across the board and is a worthy winner of the best smartphones of 2021.”
Samsung was the only company to get two phones on the list of nominees for 2021, the other model was the Galaxy S20 FE. The shortlist also included the iPhone 12 Pro Max, OnePlus 9 Pro and Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra.
Here are the key considerations that the jury focused on when choosing the winner:
- Physical design and innovation
- Device performance and form factors
- Real new innovation implemented eg in form factor, technology, functions
- Product usefulness in terms of functionality and features
- Price point and perceived value for money
- Commercial success in global territories
- User experience, quality and reliability
- Environmental and sustainability information
- Ongoing commitment to support e.g. Software upgrades
ARM received the Disruptive Device Innovation Award for mobile device processor development and praised Apple for its work on UWB, Oppo for its efforts to develop and promote fast charging, and the companies that worked with scrolling screens, BOE, LG, Oppo and others.
Vodafone Curve was chosen as the best connected consumer device, this is a GPS-enabled tracking brand. It won over Samsung’s Galaxy Buds Pro, Huawei’s VR Glass headset, Nreal Light mixed reality headset and ZTE’s Cloud + AI home camera.
If you missed the GLOMO 2019 awards (again, the 2020 edition was canceled), the Huawei Mate 20 Pro won the coveted smartphone award, the Samsung Galaxy Watch won the best portable mobile technology award, and Epic Games was honored for the Fortnite franchise.