Tecno Phantom X review
Introduction and specifications
Tecno is one of the brands used by the Chinese phone manufacturer Transsion to monitor the markets – and most prominent in Africa.
The company has taken its Phantom series and has designated it as their flagship product line-up – intended to even reach new markets such as Turkey. So essentially it does not have much to do with previously released Phantom devices from Tecno like Phantom 9.
The company just sent us the first device in the new series for review – the Phantom X. It’s top-of-the-line in terms of Tecno’s portfolio, but take the word “flagship” pretty loosely here.
Phantom X is a slightly upgraded version of the recently reviewed Tecno Camon 17 Pro. Phantom replaces the LCD with an AMOLED panel and also offers a more capable camera setup, but the same MediaTek G95 turns on both devices.
However, do not judge it solely on the basis of the chipset. Phantom X offers premium-level features that increase the value of the device. The most notable is the 50MP main sensor (the same as in the vivo X60 Pro +), aided by a proper 13MP telephoto camera (2x zoom) and an 8MP ultra-wide device with autofocus. The selfie side has not been overlooked either, so the rather large punch hole on the front houses a massive 48MP main camera and an 8MP camera for ultrawide selfies.
Overview of Tecno Phantom X specifications:
- Body: 163.5×73.8×8.7mm, 201g; Glass front, glass back (Gorilla Glass 5).
- Screen: 6.70 “Super AMOLED, 90Hz, 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5: 9 aspect ratio, 385ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek Helio G95 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.05 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G76 MC4.
- Memory: 256 GB 8 GB RAM; microSD card slot.
- OS / software: Android 11, HIOS 7.6.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 50 MP, f / 1.9, 1 / 1.3 “, 1.2µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, Laser AF; Tele: 13 MP, f / 2.45, 50 mm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.25, 120 °, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm, AF.
- Front camera: Wide (head): 48 MP, f / 2.2, 1 / 2.0 “, 0.8 μm; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 105 °, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 4700mAh; Fast charging 33W, 70% in 30 minutes (announced).
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); FM radio; 3.5 mm jack plug.
Aside from the cameras, the device has a large, curved 6.7-inch OLED panel to be proud of. It boasts a 90Hz refresh rate and full DCI-P3 color gamut coverage. And of course, there is an optical fingerprint reader located under it.
Other notable features include 33W fast charging, which should deliver a 70% charge to the 4,700 mAh battery in 30 minutes, a fully-fledged dual SIM + microSD card slot and a 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom. And last but not least, the Phantom X has a well-rounded premium design with a patterned glass back, Gorilla Glass 5 front and an aluminum frame. It’s a rare case of premium features combined with a mid-range SoC that could potentially snatch some buyers from the big-name brands.
The only catch is that the Tecno brand is not well established in many countries, so its main markets remain Africa and Turkey. No timeframe has yet been set for a European release.
Unboxing of Tecno Phantom X
The device comes in a large black box that contains the 33W-compatible charger, USB-A to USB-C cable for data transfer and charging, a protective case and a pair of headphones with a 3.5 mm plug.
OEM paid special attention to the case as it has a soft touch, faux leather surface that provides excellent grip. However, it does not wrap around the sides, so it leaves the edges exposed. It is still quite elegant and hardly adds to the dimensions of the phone.