Realme 8 Pro review
|128 GB 8 GB RAM||$ 253.59||£ 279.00|
|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$ 427.67||18,989 kr|
|Show all prices|
If the previous Realme series is anything to go by, we should not expect direct successors with full-fledged upgrades. More often we would have a slightly different impact on the previous generation with a new highlight feature – a few nips and tucks here, a few cuts there and probably the same price. And that’s what Realme 8 Pro is all about.
The new Realme 8 Pro’s most notable upgrade over the Realme 7 Pro is the new 108MP main camera, which not only promises high quality photos and videos day and night, but it should also give us 3x lossless zoom thanks to some new binding and processing algorithms. The rest of the snaps remain the same – an 8MP ultra-wide, a 2MP macro and a 2MP depth sensor.
Realme 8 Pro also introduces a new grippy design with a cool sandblasted back panel.
The rest is pretty much the same. It holds the same 6.4 “1080p Super AMOLED screen, the same Snapdragon 720G chip as well as the same 4,500 mAh battery.
There are also a few cuts. The Realme 8 Pro only has one speaker, it charges a little slower at 50W, and the selfie camera resolution was halved. Oddly enough, the water-repellent coating is also gone.
Well, we are not sure how the thought processes went when we made Realme 8 Pro, but we are not big fans of such downgrades. Here, hope the new camera and its 3x lossless zoom would compensate for the omissions, and the new design is also an improvement.
Overview of Realme 8 Pro specifications:
- Body: 160.6×73.9×8.1mm, 176g; Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back.
- Screen: 6.40 “Super AMOLED, 430 nits (type), 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 411ppi; Always on display.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm): Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver); Adreno 618.
- Memory: 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 8 GB RAM; UFS 2.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS / software: Android 11, Realme UI 2.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 108 MP, f / 1.9, 26 mm, 1 / 1.52 “, 0.7 μm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.3, 119 °, 16 mm, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 2.5, (wide), 1 / 3.0 “, 1.0 μm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120 / 480fps, 720p @ 960fps, gyro-EIS; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 / 120fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 50W, 50% in 17 minutes, 100% in 47 minutes (advertised).
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); 3.5 mm jack plug.
Realme 8 Pro offers many value-added features such as a 3.5mm jack, NFC and even a dedicated microSD slot in addition to the dual-SIM support.
Realme 8 Pro does not seem like an upgrade over Realme 7 Pro, not even over Realme 6 Pro. But it offers a good range of features at a reasonable price, which should be enough to make it a good competitor in the currently oversaturated market.
Unboxing of Realme 8 Pro
Realme 8 Pro arrives in a familiar yellow box and has the usual contents. There is a SuperDart 65W charged charger and a USB-A-to-C cable that can handle charging at 6.5 A. The power adapter is a bit overqualified for the job as Realme 8 Pro supports up to 50W charging, but we guess on assembling the chargers you have in stock, instead of making newer inferior ones.
Inside the box you will also find a transparent silicone case that provides extra protection and grip if you need it. It will make the thin Realme 8 Pro thicker and yet take some of its coolness.