Moto G9 Power review
|128 GB 4 GB RAM||$ 179.99||C $ 259.60|
|Show all prices|
The Motorola Moto G9 Power may not be a powerhouse, but it certainly feels like a powerhouse. The Power models were introduced as part of the Moto G7 series, were upgraded nicely with the Moto G8, and now we see a more streamlined Moto G9 with one of the largest batteries to date – a massive 6,000 mAh device!
Moto G9 Power is not your typical upgrade, where you will see more powerful hardware, better cameras, a nicer screen. No, it’s more of a new version of the Moto G8 Power, where the unnecessary features are gone and the focus has fallen on performance and battery life.
See, this new Moto G9 Power has a larger screen but with lower resolution, and the good sharpness was dropped for performance reasons. Motorola has kept a similar budget Snapdragon chip, but it’s powerful enough to run games on an HD screen, and it’s doing well now.
The quad camera from the G8 Power is gone and we are not sure if we will miss it. While it was a fairly versatile setup with main / tele / ultrawide / macro snappers, the new 64MP primary on the G9 Power should be enough to replace the missing zoom camera (by just cropping from the center), plus it can make high resolution panoramic images – as long as your objects do not move much.
The one thing we find hard to get over is removing the stereo speakers. We loved the Moto G8 Power’s speakers, and we’re already missing them on the G9 Power. This downgrade – we do not get it.
In an attempt to compensate for that, the Moto G9 Power comes with two proper upgrades compared to the Moto G8 Power. You get double storage space – now up to 128 GB, and you also get a larger battery – it is now 6,000 mAh (up from 5,000 mAh).
Motorola Moto G9 Power Specifications at a glance:
- Body: 172.1×76.8×9.7mm, 221g; plastic back; plastic frame; Water-repellent coating.
- Screen: 6.80 “IPS LCD, 720x1640px resolution, 20.5: 9 aspect ratio, 263ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM6115 Snapdragon 662 (11 nm): Octa-core (4×2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver); Adreno 610.
- Memory: 128 GB 4 GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS / software: Android 10.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1 / 1.97 “, 0.7 um, PDAF; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4, AF; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f / 2.2, 1.0 um.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 1080p @ 30 / 60fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 6000mAh; Fast charging 20W.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (rear mounted); NFC; FM radio; 3.5 mm jack plug.
Like other Moto phones, the Moto G9 Power offers many fan-favorite tweaks such as water-repellent coating on the inside, a 3.5mm connector, a microSD connector, FM radio and NFC. And there is an included 20W charger that should add 6,000 mAh fast enough. Hopefully!
Unboxing of Moto G9 Power
The Moto G9 Power retail box contains a 20W turbocharger, a USB-C cable and a transparent silicone case for out-of-the-box protection.
We like how Motorola ships the phone with the case already on the phone – this way it is safer during transport and is ready to rock right away. Yes, it is a minor hassle to set a case, but we appreciate the extra effort. Oh, and not having a paper room for the said case probably saved a tree or two.