The Vivo V20 Pro 5G was announced back in September, but it is only now that it is reaching Indian soil. We had the chance to do a full review of the Vanilla V20, and we really appreciated the slightly different approach vivo had with the phone. So now that we have the Pro version, let’s take a quick look at what makes this a “Pro”.
In terms of design, there is not much difference, especially if you look at the back. The front, however, has a larger notch, which is a bit unexpected, as chopped handsets are pretty scarce these days. Other than that, the V20 Pro 5G is a typical mid-range device in the category below INR 30,000 with a bright OLED screen, 5G-compatible Snapdragon 765G chipset.
an overview of vivo V20 Pro 5G specifications:
- Body: 158.8×74.2×7.4mm, 170g; Glass front and back, plastic frame.
- Screen: 6.44 “AMOLED, HDR10, 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 409ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm): Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver); Adreno 620.
- Memory: 128 GB 8 GB RAM.
- OS / software: Android 11, Funtouch 11.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.9, 26 mm, 1 / 1.72 “, 0.8 µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 120 °, 16 mm, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: Wide (head): 44 MP, f / 2.0; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.3, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30 / 60fps, gyro-EIS; Front camera: 4K @ 30 fps, 1080p @ 30 fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4000mAh; Fast charging 33W.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical), no 3.5 mm jack, no NFC, no FM radio.
A quick review of the specifications raises the question of a proper functional difference. The Vanilla V20 and Pro version appear to be identical, with the only difference being the chipset, the extra selfie camera and the support of the microSD card. The latter is scraped from the specification sheet on the Pro model, but it obviously gives you a more powerful chipset. The rest of the specifications are pretty much identical.
So even before we do this hands-on review, we have a pretty good idea of how the V20 Pro 5G would feel from day to day. But until a full review comes around, join us on the next pages to see if the V20 Pro 5G is the right device for you.
Unboxing of vivo V20 Pro 5G
The retail box is nothing unusual, except that it contains a USB-C for 3.5 mm dongle, so you can use the included 3.5 mm headphones in the box. Strange that vivo did not add USB-C headphones too.
You also get a transparent silicone case and the 33W-compatible quick charger along with a USB-A to USB-C cable that is used not only for charging but also for data transfers.