|128 GB 6 GB RAM||$ 314.99||£ 295.00|
|128 GB 4 GB RAM||C $ 556.90||£ 285.00|
|Show all prices|
Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is a very strange smartphone. It was hailed as the cheapest 5G phone and teased for several weeks before its complete specifications were finally released. And it turned out that the A42 has grown quite larger since its compact A40 and A41 predecessors. Not only that, but this new Galaxy A42 5G is also shaped to be an excellent gaming device with a pretty big battery by it. Yes, the Galaxy A42 5G is weird, but in a good way.
The Galaxy A42 5G does not deviate from the beautiful design we saw on the Galaxy A41 and comes with an even more glamorous Prism Dot look. But it’s bigger now as Samsung chose a 6.6 “Super AMOLED screen this time. It may be bigger, but the resolution has dropped to HD +, which may get something instant” ew “, but hold on a moment.
The latest mid-range Galaxy is powered by the 5G-compatible Snapdragon 750 chip, which is a real powerhouse. And with that oomph under that HD + screen, we’re looking at top-class gaming performance.
Then there is the meaty 5,000 mAh battery that can hold these gaming sessions for some time. The older A41 and A40 passed the battery life test with significantly smaller batteries, so we have high expectations for this one.
The Galaxy A42 5G borrows the Galaxy A41 camera setup and adds an extra 5MP depth sensor. This means you’ll find a familiar arrangement on the back – a 48MP primary camera, an 8MP ultra-wide shooter, a 5MP macro snapper and the new depth sensor. The front camera is in the old park – a 20MP f / 2.2 image processing.
The A42 loses nothing since the A41 – it still offers a 3.5mm jack, an FM radio, a microSD connector, and many will appreciate the doubled storage space of 128GB, UFS2.1.
Let’s look at the specification sheet now.
Overview of Samsung Galaxy A42 5G:
- Body: 164.4×75.9×8.6mm, 193g; Plastic housing.
- Screen: 6.60 “Super AMOLED, 720x1600px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 266ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7225 Snapdragon 750 5G (8 nm): Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Kryo 570 & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 570); Adreno 619.
- Memory: 128 GB 4 GB RAM, 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 8 GB RAM; UFS 2.1; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS / software: Android 10, a user interface 2.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 48 MP, f / 1.8, 1 / 2.0 “, 0.8 um, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 123 °; Macro: 5 MP, f / 2.4; Depth: 5 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 20 MP, f / 2.2, (wide).
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30fps, 720p @ 480fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 15W.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); NFC; 3.5 mm jack plug.
There is only one thing that we would like even more on such a game-oriented smartphone, and that is a stereo speaker setup. We know it’s a € 299 phone with 5G and all, but seeing how Poco puts on some excellent speakers, it’s not that long to wish, is it?
In any case, we just can not wait to put this phone through. So without further ado here is the Galaxy A42 5G unboxed.
Unboxing of Galaxy A42 5G
Samsung Galaxy A42 5G is packed in a compact paper box. Its package includes a 15W charger, a USB-C cable and a cheap pair of headphones with a microphone.
There is also a silicone protective case inside the box, hidden in the paper compartment, which is somewhat stuck inside the paper lid.