ZTE Axon 20 5G review
|128 GB 8 GB RAM||£ 419.00|
|256 GB 8 GB RAM||$ 405.90|
|Show all prices|
The ZTE Axon family has a long history in the industry. Now they are bringing us the world’s first commercially available device with an under-display selfie camera, the Axon 20 5G. It’s something we’ve been waiting for ever since the first hooked phones arrived.
One would expect such a breakthrough feature to be paired with premium hardware. However, ZTE wants to play it safe this time around, and the camera under the display has been combined with a mix of sophisticated and mid-range hardware. But the main selling point here is clearly the display. If you remove the cutouts, it only makes sense to use a proper display as well.
Overview of ZTE Axon 20 5G:
- Body: 172.1×77.9×8.0mm, 198g; Glass front, glass back, aluminum frame.
- Screen: 6.92 “OLED, 1B colors, 90Hz, 1080x2460px resolution, 20.5: 9 aspect ratio, 388ppi; Always-on-screen.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7250 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm): Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver); Adreno 620.
- Memory: 128 GB 6 GB RAM, 128 GB 8 GB RAM, 256 GB 8 GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot, up to 2 TB).
- OS / software: Android 10, MiFavor 10.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.8, 25 mm, 1 / 1.72 “, 0.8 µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.2, 120 °, 16 mm; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f / 2.0, (wide), during playback.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30fps, gyro-EIS, HDR, 10-bit video; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 4220mAh; Fast charging 30W, fast charging 4+.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); NFC; Sound on Display, selfie camera under display; only 8 GB / 128 GB available in Europe.
The full-screen panel controls all fields – HRR up to 90Hz, HDR support, OLED and 10-bit color depth. And it is actually also one of the largest in the city. The screen measures 6.92 “diagonally, making the phone a bit unwieldy even for users with average hands.
However, the mid-range part about this phone is the chipset. The Snapdragon 765G offers 5G connectivity and more than adequate performance, and it is paired with 128GB of internal storage as a basic configuration. The camera setup also leaves something to be desired as it does not offer a tele-camera and the ultra-wide device is only 8MP. There are also no stereo speakers.
So is this the typical first-generation product with its own quirks that needs to be fixed and people are paying the price for early adoption, or is there much more to it than a huge screen without a cutout? We will see.
Unboxing of ZTE Axon 20 5G
The handset comes inside a standard box with the appropriate USB-A to USB-C cable charger used for charging and data transfer. As a bonus, ZTE has included a transparent silicone case and a 3.5mm USB-C dongle, as the phone does not have a headphone jack.