The X60 Pro was released back in April, and yet its successor, which we have for review today, is not just a half-baked update that the short release cycle would suggest. On the contrary, in fact. The X70 Pro now offers a similar feature set as the X60 Pro +, and it occupies a completely different price range.
vivo X70 Pro and vivo X60 Pro +
The price increase compared to the X60 Pro seems reasonable. The new model has a brighter and more energy efficient AMOLED screen and retains the refresh rate of 120 Hz. A 50MP f / 1.8 camera is at the helm of the camera department along with the familiar 8MP 5x zoom and 12MP 2x zoom telephoto cameras borrowed from the X60 Pro +. The 2x telecom unit is particularly exciting as it offers a wide f / 2.0 aperture.
Instant Vivo X70 Pro Specifications:
- Body: 158.3×73.2×8.0 mm, 183g; Glass front, glass back, aluminum frame.
- Screen: 6.56 “AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10 +, 1300 nits (peak), 1080x2376px resolution, 19.8: 9 aspect ratio, 398ppi.
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6893 Dimensity 1200 5G (6 nm) -International, Exynos 1080 (5 nm) -China: Octa-core (1×3.0 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) – International, Octa-core (1×2.8 GHz Cortex-A78 & 3×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) -China; Mali -G77 MC9 – International, Mali -G78 MP10 – China.
- Memory: 128 GB 8 GB RAM, 256 GB 8 GB RAM, 256 GB 12 GB RAM, 512 GB 12 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS / software: Android 11, Funtouch OS 12 (International), OriginOS 1.0 (China).
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 50 MP, f / 1.8, 1 / 1.56 “, 1.0µm, PDAF, Laser AF, gimbal OIS; Tele: 12 MP, f / 2.0, 50 mm, 1 / 2.93 “, 1.22 μm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom; Tele: 8 MP, f / 3.4, 125 mm, 1 / 4.4 “, 1.0 ,m, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 12 MP, f / 2.2, 16 mm, 116˚, 1 / 3.1 “, 1.12 um, AF.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f / 2.5, 26 mm (wide), 1 / 2.8 “, 0.8 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30 / 60fps, gyro-EIS, HDR10 +; Front camera: 4K @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30fps.
- Battery: 4450mAh; Fast charging 44W, reverse charging.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); Infrared port.
Unfortunately, the 48MP ultrawide camera has been swapped for a slightly wider 12MP device. The good news is that the special Zeiss optics and Zeiss T * lens coating are still present along with the famous gimbal stabilization on the main camera.
Another important change worth mentioning is the chipset. The X60 Pro runs on the powerful Snapdragon 870, while the X70 Pro settles for a Dimensity 1200 worldwide and Exynos 1080 in China. Don’t get us wrong, Dimensity 1200 and Exynos 1080 are both very capable chipsets; the former is even the current top-of-the-line MediaTek silicon.
In addition to the new chipset, the X70 Pro gets a lot of memory options this time – from 8 GB / 128 GB all the way up to 12 GB / 512 GB. The X60 Pro was launched with a configuration of 12 GB / 256 GB, which makes the access barrier a bit higher than usual, so it is a good step to bring a wider memory.
A small bump in battery capacity, now 4,450 mAh, is also more than welcome change and paired with an upgraded, snapper 44W charge, the device tops up pretty quickly. It can also charge other devices as it supports reverse cable charging.
vivo X70 Pro and vivo X60 Pro
The X70 Pro is a particularly impressive device as it is built around a 6.56 inch screen, it does not weigh that much, it is quite thin and carries some serious hardware under the hood. The unique bit is that the phone offers the most versatile camera setup with gimbal OIS, + two telephoto cameras and an ultrawide with AF in such a small package. There are not many medium sized devices that can give you that much freedom when it comes to recording.
Now let’s dig deeper and see if the X70 Pro can use these cameras and how the new chipset, the upgraded display and the larger battery have affected the overall endurance.
Unpacking the vivo X70 Pro
The Vivo X70 Pro comes in an elegant, flat box with a thin profile, but it carries many goodies. Apart from the compatible 44W charger and USB-A to USB-C cable, the package also includes a transparent silicone case.
And since there is no 3.5mm audio jack nearby, there is a USB-C dongle and a pair of 3.5mm earphones with extra headphone tips in various sizes. Pretty generous package.