Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G, the highest specification of Reno in the ‘6’ batch, has been with us for the last few weeks and has undergone the usual rigorous testing. What about Pro +, you say, is it not the top model? Let’s try to clarify.
This ‘global’ version of the smartphone has ‘Snapdragon’ in the name of the specs page as our attempt to make sense of a confusing lineup – it’s not really part of its actual market designation.
The good thing is that the confusion is only for someone like us who caters to all markets around the world. Consumers get both models based on their location. India and China get Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G with a Mediatek Dimensity 1200 and another camera setup – it is downgraded compared to this Snapdragon version here, which is intended for western markets.
This is not to say that a very similar handset is not sold in eastern markets – an almost identical phone is marketed as the Reno6 Pro + 5G in China. So in a way, the Pro + is the best-equipped Reno6, but so is this particular flavor of the Pro non-plus. At least the other Reno6s do not get in the way too much. We use the Snapdragon moniker occasionally, but even if we drop it, you should know that this is the specific model we are reviewing.
Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G (Snapdragon) • Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G • Oppo Reno6 Pro + 5G
For hardware. The Reno6 Pro 5G (Snapdragon) specsheet starts with a 6.55-inch AMOLED display with a modest high refresh rate – only 90Hz, and it’s one of the few strange choices when most competitors are at 120Hz. Snapdragon in the name is 870, the last iteration on last year’s flagship SoC and in some ways better than 888 from 2021. A single SKU with 12 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage space should keep most people happy.
The cameras are not so bad either. The tri-set on the back is the headline of the same 50MP sensor that you would find in the Find X3 Pro flagship, and the numbers suggest that 2x telephoto is also shared between the two. Find retains the exclusivity of 50MP ultrawide, so Reno gets a 16MP instead, but it retains the 32MP selfie device. So a 3-out-of-4 flagship camera system on the Reno6 Pro 5G (SD). Well, sort of – the 2MP macro here is nowhere near as interesting as the 3MP microscope on Find X3 Pro, but it’s niche enough not to count – if we have to say so ourselves.
The 4,500 mAh battery should be good enough, the 65W fast charge is even better, the stereo speakers are appreciated. Missing is an IP rating, and you may be inclined to forgive that omission if you label Reno a mid-range, but for around € 800, that field in the spec sheet should not be empty, we reckon.
Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G (Snapdragon) specifications in an instant:
- Body: 160.8×72.5×8.0 mm, 188g; aluminum frame; glass back.
- Screen: 6.55 “Super AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10 +, 500 nits (type), 800 nits (HDR), 1100 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 402ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm): Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585); Adreno 650.
- Memory: 256 GB 12 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS / software: Android 11, ColorOS 11.3.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 50 MP, f / 1.8, 24 mm, 1 / 1.56 “, 1.0 µm, omnidirectional PDAF, OIS; Telephoto: 13 MP, f / 2.4, 52 mm, 1 / 3.4 “, 1.0µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 16 MP, f / 2.2, 123˚, 1 / 3.09 “, 1.0 ;m; Macro: 2 MP, f / 2.4.
- Front camera: 32 MP, f / 2.4, 26 mm (wide), 1 / 2.8 “, 0.8 .m.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 4K @ 30/60 fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120 fps; gyro-EIS, HDR; Front camera: 1080p @ 30fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 65W, Reverse charging, SuperVOOC 2.0.
- Miscellaneous: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); NFC; stereo speakers.
Oppo Reno6 Pro 5G unboxing
A blue-green box holds the Reno6 Pro 5G until it reaches your hands, with a bold 6 on top to mark the generation and a smaller but more detailed designation of the specific model at the bottom (minus Snapdragon). Same presentation as the fifth generation.
However, Oppo has skipped the earphones this time, while both the 5 Pro 5G and 6 5G have a pair, but not the 6 Pro 5G (Snapdragon). You get the powerful 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 quick charger and a cable for it, plus a basic but functional soft protective cover that is also transparent so it does not hide the smart back.