|128 GB 8 GB RAM||$ 544.99||$ 810.00|
|Show all prices|
Introduction and specifications
The mobile gaming segment is expanding rapidly and nubia is at the forefront. The company has a history of doing things differently and has applied the same strategy to its gaming phones. Almost all of the previous Red Magic releases had something new and exciting to bring to the table, and the latest Red Magic 6 is no exception.
This time, though, there is not just one fancy built-in fan. Both Red Magic 6 and Red Magic 6 Pro are the first phones to be launched with a 165Hz screen and 500Hz sampling frequency with a single finger. We have yet to see how it affects battery life and whether gaming above 144Hz is possible, given how limited support for Android gaming is to begin with. In addition, the panel has grown in size from 6.65 “to 6.8”. In the gaming world, more is always better.
Overview of ZTE nubia Red Magic 6:
- Body: 169.9×77.2×9.7mm, 220g; Gorilla Glass front, glass back, aluminum frame; Pressure sensitive zones (400Hz touch sensitive), built-in fan.
- Screen: 6.80 “AMOLED, 1B colors, 165Hz, 630 nits (type), 1080x2400px resolution, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 387ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G (5 nm): Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 680 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 680 & 4x 0.80 GHz Kryo 680); Adreno 660.
- Memory: 128 GB 8 GB RAM, 128 GB 12 GB RAM, 256 GB 12 GB RAM; UFS 3.1.
- OS / software: Android 11, Redmagic 4.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (head): 64 MP, f / 1.8, 26 mm, 1 / 1.72 “, 0.8 µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f / 2.0, 120 °, 13 mm, 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm; Macro: 2 MP.
- Front camera: 8 MP, f / 2.0, (wide), 1 / 4.0 “, 1.12 µm.
- Video recording: Rear camera: 8K @ 30fps, 4K @ 30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60/120 / 240fps; Front camera: 1080p @ 30 fps.
- Battery: 5050mAh; Fast Charging 66W, Power Delivery 3.0, Quick Charge 4.
- Various: Fingerprint reader (on display, optical); NFC (global version) 3.5 mm jack.
Other game-related features include a lightning-fast 400Hz, pressure-sensitive shoulder triggers that make certain games a pleasure to play. This current implementation is improved over the previous two generations that had 300Hz triggers.
And if that’s not enough, nubia would like to sell you a few extra accessories like a gaming adapter for port expansion (DisplayPort 1.4 included). Ice Dock from last year returns as a Dual-core Ice Dock that provides some extra cooling capabilities during games and in our previous review of Red Magic 5S, we found it quite useful.
The rest of the hardware, although quite powerful, matches the industry standard with a Snapdragon 888 chipset, 8 GB / 128 GB memory configuration as a base and up to 5,050 mAh battery capacity depending on which version of the phone you choose. The Pro model comes with a smaller 4,500 mAh unit as it trades at 550 mAh capacity for the fast 120W charging which is exclusive to China. Outside of China, both devices come with 66W fast charging support.
The differences between the vanilla Red Magic 6 and the Pro model do not end there. There is also an extra heat dissipation plate on the Pro model, which nubia says can lower the surface temperature up to 3-5C degrees. This leaves us with no solid reason to go for the Pro model, but we can not say for sure as we have only seen the vanilla Red Magic 6.
Unboxing of nubia Red Magic 6
The phone box contains the usual user manuals and a USB-C to USB-C cable. The included stock charger with this non-Pro version is rated at 30W, while the Chinese version gets the 66W charger. The latter can be purchased separately if you get the global version.
This year, it looks like Red Magic 6 is skipping the bonus protection case we had before.